- Mann, Kaylee, Travis Massey, Sudip Guha, Joshua Paul van Kleef, and Michel Maharbiz. “A Wearable Wireless Platform for Visually Stimulating Small Flying Insects.” Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE (2014)
- A. Bertrand, D. Seo, F. Maksimovic, J. M. Carmena, M. M. Maharbiz, E. Alon, J. M. Rabaey, ” Beamforming Approaches for Untethered, Ultrasonic Neural Dust Motes for Cortical Recording: a Simulation Study,” accepted for publication, IEEE EMBC, Aug. 2014.
- Seo, D., Carmena, J. M., Rabaey, J. M., Maharbiz, M. M., & Alon, E. (2014). Model Validation of Untethered, Ultrasonic Neural Dust Motes for Cortical Recording. Journal of neuroscience methods.
- T.J. Zajdel, M.A. TerAvest, B. Rad, C.M. Ajo-Franklin, and M.M. Maharbiz . “Probing the Proton-Motive Force in E. coli.” in Proceedings of IEEE SENSORS, 2014, in press.
- Ferreira, A. S. R., Hsia, J., Arcak, M., Maharbiz, M., & Arkin, A. (2014). Pattern Formation with a Compartmental Lateral Inhibition System. arXiv preprint arXiv:1407.6426.
- Cao, F., Zhang, C., Doan, T. T. V., Li, Y., Sangi, D. H., Koh, J. S., … & Sato, H. (2014). A Biological Micro Actuator: Graded and Closed-Loop Control of Insect Leg Motion by Electrical Stimulation of Muscles. PloS one, 9(8), e105389.
- Amol Jadhav, Michel M. Maharbiz, and Hirotaka Sato. “Untethered Insect Interfaces1).” Implantable Bioelectronics (2014).
- Cohen, Daniel J., W. James Nelson, and Michel M. Maharbiz. “Galvanotactic control of collective cell migration in epithelial monolayers.” Nature Materials (2014).
- Muller, Rikky; Le, Hanh-Phuc; Li, Wen; Ledochowitsch, Peter; Gambini, Simone; Bjorninen, Toni; Koralek, Aaron; Carmena, Jose; Maharbiz, Michel; Alon, Elad ; Rabaey, Jan “24.1 A miniaturized 64-channel 225μW wireless electrocorticographic neural sensor.” In Solid-State Circuits Conference Digest of Technical Papers (ISSCC), 2014 IEEE International, pp. 412-413. IEEE, 2014.
- van Kleef, J. P., Massy, T., & Maharbiz, M. M. (2013). An ocellar-based flight control system for flying insects. IEEE EMBC Short Papers No, 2664.
- V. G. Krishnan, V. Romanin, V. P. Carey, and M. M. Maharbiz, “Design and scaling of microscale Tesla turbines,” J. Micromechanics Microengineering, vol. 23, no. 12, p. 125001, 2013. doi:10.1088/0960-1317/23/12/125001
- Adam H. Marblestone, Bradley M. Zamft, Yael G. Maguire, Mikhail G. Shapiro, Thaddeus R. Cybulski, Joshua I. Glaser, P. Benjamin Stranges, Reza Kalhor, David A. Dalrymple, Dongjin Seo, Elad Alon, Michel M. Maharbiz, Jose M. Carmena, Jan M. Rabaey, Edward S. Boyden, George M. Church, Konrad P. Kording, “Physical Principles for Scalable Neural Recording,” arXiv, 1306.5709
- Seo, Dongjin; Carmena, Jose M.; Rabaey, Jan M.; Alon, Elad; Maharbiz, Michel M., “Neural Dust: An Ultrasonic, Low Power Solution for Chronic Brain-Machine Interfaces,”arXiv, 1307.2196
- P. Ledochowitsch, A. Koralek, D. Moses, J.M. Carmena, and M.M. Maharbiz, “Sub-mm Functional Decoupling of Electrocortical Signals through Closed-Loop Brain-Machine Learning”, EMBC 2013, Osaka
- P. Ledochowitsch, R. Tiefenauer, B. Pepin, M.M. Maharbiz, and T.J. Blanche, “Nanoflex for Neural Nanrobes”, Transducers & Eurosensors 2013, Barcelona
- Bjorninen, T.; Muller, R.; Ledochowitsch, P.; Sydanheimo, L.; Ukkonen, L.; Maharbiz, M. M.; Rabaey, J. M.; , “Design of Wireless Links to Implanted Brain–Machine Interface Microelectronic Systems,” Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, IEEE , vol.11, no., pp.1663-1666, 2012.doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2013.2239252
- Michel M. Maharbiz,”Synthetic multicellularity,” Trends in Cell Biology, online 4 October 2012, doi: 10.1016/j.tcb.2012.09.002.
- Gabriel J. Lavella, Amol D. Jadhav, and Michel M. Maharbiz, “A Synthetic Chemomechanical Machine Driven by Ligand–Receptor Bonding,” Nano Letters, 2012
- Fawwaz P. Ulaby and Michel M. Maharbiz, Circuits, 2nd Ed, NTS Press, 2012
- Daniel C Huang, William J Holtz and Michel M Maharbiz, “A genetic bistable switch utilizing nonlinear protein degradation,” Journal of Biological Engineering (2012) 6:9 doi:10.1186/1754-1611-6-9
- G. Lavella, R. Morfino, and M. M. Maharbiz, “A synthetic Brownian ratchet architecture for creating tailorable chemomechanical nanomachines,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 013703 (2012); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4732154
- Vincent Lee, Jennifer Monski, Winthrop Williams, Bharathwaj Muthuswamy, Tom Swiontek, Michel Maharbiz, Vivek Subramanian and Ferenc Kovac, “A Mixed-Signal EEG Interface Circuit For Use In First Year Electronics Courses,”Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 2689 – 2692, May 2012.
- Daniel J Cohen, Debkishore Mitra, Kevin Peterson, and Michel M Maharbiz,”A highly elastic, capacitive strain gauge based on percolating nanotube networks,” Nano Letters, 2012 (Communication), DOI: 10.1021/nl204052z
- Toley, B. J., Park, J., Kim, B.-J., Venkatasubramanian, R., Maharbiz, M. M. and Forbes, N. S. (2012), Micrometer-scale oxygen delivery rearranges cells and prevents necrosis in tumor tissue in vitro. Biotechnology Progress. doi: 10.1002/btpr.1510
- J. Hsia, W. J. Holtz, D. C. Huang, M. Arcak, M. M. Maharbiz, “A Feedback Quenched Oscillator Produces Turing Patterning with One Diffuser,” PLoS Comput Biol 8(1), 2012. e1002331. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002331
- A. Jadhav, I. Aimo, D. Cohen, M. M. Maharbiz,“ Cyborg Eyes: Microfabricated Neural Interfaces Implanted During the Development of Insect Sensory Organs Produce Stable Neurorecordings in the Adult,” 25th International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 2012), Paris, France, January 31 – February 2, 2012, pp 937.
- H. Sato, D. Cohen, and M. M. Maharbiz, “Building Interfaces to Developing Cells and Organisms: From Cyborg Beetles to Synthetic Biology,” in CMOS Biomicrosystems, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011, pp. 325-354.
- S. Chen, N. Patel, D. V. Schafffer, and M. M. Maharbiz, “Trap and corral: a two-step approach for constructing and constraining dynamic cell contact events in differentiating progenitor cell populations” in J. Micromech. Microeng., 21, 2011.
- Ledochowitsch, P.; Félus, R.J.; Gibboni, R.R.; Miyakawa, A.; Bao, S.; Maharbiz, M.M.; , “Fabrication and testing of a large area, high density, parylene MEMS µECoG array,” Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), 2011 IEEE 24th International Conference on , vol., no., pp.1031-1034, 23-27 Jan. 2011.
- P. Ledochowitsch, E. Olivero, T. Blanche, and M. M. Maharbiz, “A Transparent μECoG Array for Simultaneous Recording and Optogenetic Stimulation”, EMBC’ 2011.
- Vedavalli G. Krishnan, Zohora Iqbal, and Michel M. Maharbiz, “ A micro Tesla turbine for Power generation from Low pressure heads and Evaporation driven flows”, in The 16th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems- Tranducers’11 , June 5-9 , 2011
- Hsia, J.; Holtz, W.A.; Huang, D.C.; Arcak, M.; Maharbiz, M.M.; , “A quenched oscillator network for pattern formation in gene expression,” American Control Conference (ACC), 2011 , vol., no., pp.2284-2289, June 29 2011-July 1 2011
- Gabriel Lavella, Roberto Morfino, and Michel M. Maharbiz, A Biased Brownian Rathcet for Nanoscale Chemomechanical Transduction, A Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems Workshop (Hilton Head Workshop 2010), Hilton Head Island, SC, June 6 – 10, 2010.
- Justin Hsia, William A. Holtz, Daniel C. Huang, Murat Arcak, Michel M. Maharbiz, “A Quenched Oscillator Network forPattern Formation in Gene Expression,” 2011 American Control Conference — ACC2011, San Francisco, California, USA, June 29 – July 1, 2011.
- H. Sato, M.M. Maharbiz “Recent Developments in the Remote Radio Control of Insect Flight” Frontiers in Neuroscience, 4:199 (2010). [Invited Review].
- M.M. Maharbiz and H. Sato “Cyborg Beetles: Tiny flying robots that are part machine and part insect may one day save lives in wars and disasters” Scientific American, Vol. 303, Number 6, 94-99 (2010). [December issue]
- Sato H, Berry CW, Peeri Y, Baghoomian E, Casey BE, Lavella G, VandenBrooks JM, Harrison JF and Maharbiz MM, “Remote radio control of insect flight,” Front. Integr. Neurosci. 3:24, 2009. doi:10.3389/neuro.07.024.2009
- Cohen DJ, Morfino RC, Maharbiz MM, “A modified consumer inkjet for spatiotemporal control of gene expression,” PLoS One. 2009 Sep 18;4(9):e7086.
- Fawwaz P. Ulaby and Michel M. Maharbiz, Circuits, 1st Ed, NTS Press, 2009
- R. T. Borno, J. D. Steinmeter, M. M. Maharbiz, “Charge-pumping in a synthetic leaf for harvesting energy from evaporation-driven flows,” Applied Physics Letters, 95, 013705, 2009
- M.-P. Chang and M. M. Maharbiz, “Electrostatically-driven elastomer components for user-reconfigurable high density microfluidics,” Lab Chip, 2009, 9, pp. 1274 – 1281
- H. Sato, Y. Peeri, E. Baghoomian, C.W. Berry, M.M. Maharbiz, “Radio-controlled cyborg beetles: a radio-frequency systems for insect neural flight control,” IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, (MEMS 2009), January 25-29, 2009, Sorrento, Italy
- T. Bansal, J. Lenhart, T. Kim, C. Duan and M. M. Maharbiz, ‘Patterned delivery and expression of gene constructs into developing zebrafish embryos using microfabricated interfaces’, IEEE Biomedical microdevices, 2009 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- TK Kim, M Pinelis, M. M. Maharbiz, “Generating Steep, Sheer-free Gradients of Small Molecules for Cell Culture,” IEEE Biomedical Microdevices, 2009, 11(1), pp. 65-73.
- M. Pinelis, T. Kim, M. M. Maharbiz, “A high-yield method for generating mass-transfer gradients in elastomer microfluidics using impermeable capillaries,” IEEE Biomedical Microdevices, Dec 2008, 10(6), pp. 807-11.
- Meng-Ping Chang, Michel M. Maharbiz ” Electrostatically-Actuated Reconfigurable Elastomer Microfluidics” Solid-State Sensors, Actuators, and Microsystems Workshop, Hilton Head Isl., SC, June 2008, pp. 122-125.
- H. Sato, C. W. Berry, B. E. Casey, G. Lavella, Y. Yao, J. M. VandenBrooks, M. M. Maharbiz, “A cyborg beetle: insect flight control through an implantable, tetherless microsystem”, 21st IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 2008), JW Marriott Starr Pass Tucson, Arizona, USA, January 13-17, 2008, pp. 164-167.
- H. Sato, C. W. Berry, M. M. Maharbiz, “Flight control of 10+ gram insects by implanted neural stimulators”, Solid-State Sensors, Actuators, and Microsystems Workshop, Hilton Head Isl., SC, June 2008, pp. 90-91.
- R. F. Ismagilov and M. M. Maharbiz, “Can we build synthetic, multicellular systems by controlling developmental signaling in space and time?” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, 11 (6), pg. 604-611, 2007.
- T. Bansal, M.P. Chang, M. M. Maharbiz, “A class of low voltage, PDMS-gold ‘wet’ actuators for use in high-density microfluidics,” Lab on a Chip, 7, pg. 164-166, 2007.
- M. P. Chang, T. Bansal and M. M. Maharbiz, “Electrically-actuated PDMS microvalves and pumps for VLSI microfluidics,” Eleventh International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (MicroTAS), Paris, France, October 2007.
- R. T. Borno, J. D. Steinmeyer, and M. M. Maharbiz, “Transpiration actuation: the design, fabrication, and characterization of biomimetic microactuators driven by the surface tension of water,” J. Micromech. Microeng. 16, 2006, pp. 2375-2383.
- M. Pinelis, R. W. Kasinskas, R. T. Borno, J. Park, E. Chu, N. S. Forbes, M. M. Maharbiz, “Microfluidics devices for the assembly and culture of three-dimensional multi-cellular constructs with diffusion-limited microenvironments,” Tenth International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (MicroTAS), Tokyo, Japan, November 2006.
- T. Bansal, M. P. Chang, and M. M. Maharbiz, ” ’Wet’ AC Actuated Microlfuidic Micropore Array for Patterning Diffusible Gradients During Cell Culture,” Tenth International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (MicroTAS), Tokyo, Japan, November 2006, pp. 1181-1183.
- P. Padmanabhan and M. M. Maharbiz, “A Microelectrolytic Device for Electronically Controlled Nitric Oxide Micro-Gradient Generation ,” Tenth International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (MicroTAS), Tokyo, Japan, November 2006.
- J. H. Park, T. Bansal, M. Pinelis, and M. M. Maharbiz, “Electrolytic patterning of dissolved oxygen microgradients duringcell culture,” Lab on a Chip, 2006, 6, pp. 611-622.
- R. T. Borno, J. D. Steinmeyer, and M. M. Maharbiz, “Scalable Biomimetic Self-Assembling Actuators Powered By Surface Tension,” Foundations of Nanoscience: Self-Assembled Architectures and Devices (FNANO06), Snowbird, Utah, April 2006.
- M. Pinelis, J. Park and M. M. Maharbiz, “A Micro “Flea Circus”: Self Assembly of Bacteria through Spatio-Temporal Control of Aerotaxis,” IEEE/ASME International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 06), Istanbul, Turkey, January 2006.
- J. H. Park, T. Bansal, and M. M. Maharbiz, “A Microtechnology for Patterning Dissolved Oxygen Microgradients duringCell Culture,” Hypoxia and Development, Physiology and Disease (Keystone Symposia), Beaver Run Resort, Breckenridge, Colorado, January 16 – 21, 2006.
- M. Pinelis, J. H. Park and M. M. Maharbiz, “Bacterial Aerotaxis Assays with Spatial and Temporal Control of Oxygen Microscale Gradients, ” BMES, Baltimore, Maryland, September 2005.
- T. Bansal and M. M. Maharbiz, “A Chemical Microgradient Array for Cell Culture,” Ninth International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (microTAS), Boston, MA, October 2005, pp. 1333-1336.
- R. T. Borno and M. M. Maharbiz, ” An Energy Scavenging Microactuator Based on Surface Tension, ” 13th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators, and Microsystems, Transducers ’05, Seoul, Korea, June 2005.
- J. H. Park, T. Bansal, B. H. Chueh, S. Takayama, M. M. Maharbiz, “Electrolytic patterning of dissolved oxygen microgradients during cell culture,” 18th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 2005), Fontainebleau Hilton Resort, Miami Beach, Florida, January 30 – February 3, 2005.
- J. H. Park, T. Bansal, and M. M. Maharbiz, “Electrolytically generated oxygen microgradients for cell culture,?26th Annual International Conference, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), September 1-5, 2004.
- M. M. Maharbiz, W. J. Holtz, S. Sharifzadeh, J. D. Keasling, and R. T. Howe, “A Microfabricated ElectrochemicalOxygen Generator for High- Density Cell Culture Arrays,” J MicroElectroMechanical Sys, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 590-599, Oct. 2003.
- M. M. Maharbiz, W. J. Holtz, S. Sharifzadeh, J. D. Keasling, and R. T. Howe, “A Microfabricated ElectrochemicalOxygen Generator for High-Density Cell Culture Arrays,” Solid-State Sensor, Actuator, and Microsystems Workshop,Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, June 2-6 2002, pp. 259-264.
- M. M. Maharbiz, R. T. Howe, and J. D. Keasling, “Silicon Microbial Bioreactor Arrays,” 1st Annual International IEEE-EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnologies in Medicine & Biology, Palais des Congres, Lyon, France, October 12-14, 2000, pp. 165-170.
- V. Milanovic, M. Maharbiz, and K. Pister, “Batch Transfer Integration of RF Microrelays,” IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 313-315, Aug. 2000.
- V. Milanovic, M. Maharbiz, A. Singh, B. Warneke, N. Zhou, H. K. Chan, and K. Pister, “Microrelays for Batch Transfer Integration in RF Systems,” Proceedings of 13th International Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 2000), Japan, Jan. 2000, p.787-92.
- M. M. Maharbiz, R. T. Howe, and K. S. J. Pister, “Batch Transfer Assembly of Micro-Components Onto Surface and SOI MEMS,” Transducers ’99 Conference, Sendai, Japan, June 7-10, 1999, pp. 1478-1481.
- M. M. Maharbiz, M. B. Cohn, R. T. Howe, R. Horowitz, and A. P. Pisano, “Batch micropackaging by compression-bonded wafer-wafer transfer,” Proceedings of 12th International Workshop on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS 1999), Orlando, FL, USA, 17- 21 Jan. 1999, pp. 482-489.
- H. P. Neves, T. D. Kudrle, Jia-Ming Chen; S.G. Adams, M. Maharbiz, S. Lopatin, and N.C. MacDonald, “Conformal electroless copper and nickel deposition on MEMS structures,” Materials Science of Microelectromechanical Systems(MEMS) Devices Symposium, Boston, MA, USA, 1-2 Dec. 1998, pp. 139-144.